Monday, July 20, 2015

07/16


Love. Being in a rural village teaches me to be content. The people here do not have a bucket list of things to do. They are not running on the clock. I noticed that I am the opposite. I am constantly thinking about the next thing to do; I never settle for what I have. And, that ambitious mentality makes me less content with what I have in my life. For example, I do not take take enough time out of my day to sit back and reflect on all of my blessings. But, being in the village, I noticed how happy people were. They have a family, a community of loving people, and by the end of the day, those are all that we need. 

My first interviewee was Shankaramma. During the middle of the interview, her husband told me how "dumb" it was that I was talking to them and they were talking to me. The language barrier proved to be such a huge obstacle because it felt as if words were lost in translation. Again, I had great translators but when the information was simplified and summarized, tids and tads of information was lost. 


Photo with Shankaramma

Right after my interview with Shankaramma, we interviewed Sandinarsamma. Talking to her was extremely easy. She had a daughter that was mute, but it touched me to see how much love she had for her. She spent a good amount of her loans for her daughter's happiness. And, she even spent most of her money on her children's education, although they rarely visit them. She epitomized a genuine, loving mother. 


Photo with Sandirnasamma

Before lunch, we had no break with the interviews. I went for my third interview after Sandirnasamma. I interviewed Jhanakamu and she provided me with the most visual insights about SHGs. She showed me her bank statements, the check-in books, the loans book, and the savings book. I could not believe the amount of work put in SHGs. And, a great leader must remain organized and create rules and regulations that maintained the structure of the group. 


Jhanakamu's bank statement

Towards the middle of the interview, Shankaramma told me that she could keep talking to me because of the lack of work. She even said, "Not having rain is good luck for you, and bad luck for us". The Semi-arid tropics are so dependent on agriculture and rainfall! And, when there is a drought, families need to cope with it because they do not have any other major form of income-generated activities. I never truly understood the importance of water irrigation and conservation until I got to Dokur. 


Photo with Jhanakamu

After our third and tiring interview, we ate a much-deserved lunch. Then, we went straight to another interview with Satema. Satema, a 66 year old woman, gave me inquisitive looks every time I asked her questions. It was the most hilarious conversation I had! When I looked at her and asked her questions in English, she would ask my translators, "Why is she looking and talking at me? We do not understand each other". And, my translators would break down in laughter! Since their laughters were contagious, I would break down as well; what an interesting interview!

Before taking a photo with my respondents, I would always tell them to smile. And, look how beautiful this photo is!


Photo with Satema

After Satema's interview, I had three more interviews: one successful SHG leader, a failed/inactive leader and the bookkeeper. I also had a focus group discussion with failed group leaders and members. By the end of the night, the morale was low, but we ended up accomplishing all of that!

Before interviewing another person, we spent an hour for our break. I could notice our morale getting low, so I made sure that we got some rest by talking and hanging out with the women and children. I love how they all welcome me to their homes and have conversations with me. Unfortunately, I was unable to talk to other people because I could not understand not speak Telegu. Nonetheless, I made the most of my break by trying to speak in Telegu, and sharing my food with them.

During our break, Buchamma, our cook's mother, came to be interviewed. She was my last failed SHG-leader that I needed to interview. I realized that I did not have enough perspectives from the failed leaders. And, I did not get any perspectives from the members! But, I had no time to change my intended goal. So, I just rolled with it!


Photo with Buchamma

Before my last Focus Group Discussion, we interviewed our last successful SHG leader, Chendramma. When I was asking her questions, I could not help but feel sad that she was my last respondent! That meant that my time at the village was slowly coming to an end. I loved interviewing people because each interview was unique and provided me with crucial information. And, all of the respondents were willing to share their lives to me, a stranger! But, by the end of the conversation, I was not a stranger, but a friend.


Photo with Chendramma

I just needed to conduct a FGD and a quick conversation with the bookkeeper. I was determined to finish all of that work! Prior to the FGD, we all took rest and Pallavi and Swathi taught me how to dance. I love Indian dances because of the flowy moves. I also taught them some American moves like the WHIP! They told me how stiff American dance moves were, but I think that I am just stiff in general.

After a very relaxing break, we prepared for the FGD. Pallavi gave me a pep-talk about how much the MIP department wants me to have a successful project. When she said that, I knew that I am not doing this project for myself, but for the people in Dokur and all my mentors that always push me to believe in myself. 

Then, she and Swathi dressed me up in a half-saree. 


I was definitely ready for my FGD now! This discussion was different than the other FGD. Many of the members and leaders highlighted the negative aspects of being in an SHGs. They mentioned a recent scam that broke many groups apart, but most of them argued when that topic of conversation came up. As I wrote the answers and listened tentatively, I could not help but notice how empowered each woman was! Some leaders would talk above others because of their power and confidence. While listening to them, I would think, "Wow, I cannot believe that I am in India!" 


The women in Dokur were extremely easy to get along. They made me feel as if I was part of their village. No one treated me as a stranger. ICRISAT continues to do a great job in creating a strong relationship with the rural villagers.

Although I was exhausted by the end of the FGD, I knew that I still had one more interview to do! Well, it was more like Pallavi's interview because she wanted to get the logistics (benefits, rules and structure of the SHGs) from the bookkeeper. That interview lasted for almost an hour, like all of my other interviews.


Photo with the bookkeeper

It was already 10 PM by the time it ended and my stomach was growling! When we ate dinner, I went straight to bed right after brushing my teeth and washing my face. I had such a long day! But, it was the most productive day that I have had as an ICRISAT intern. Being exhausted by the end of the day was a great sign! It meant that I accomplished a lot and pushed myself to my limits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment