Saturday, June 27, 2015

06/26

01:12 (writing this on 06/28) 

Progress. This Friday marked my first week of work! I SURVIVED! 

As I told many people, I have learned so much about myself, my interests, and my passions all in my first week as a Borlaug-Ruan intern. What do I mean by this? Well, I am never going to be able to fully learn the meaning of research in a classroom. I am never going to be able to fully learn the power of questions in a classroom. I am never going to be able to learn the value of assertiveness and initiative in a classroom. However, as a Borlaug-Ruan intern, I am doing hands-on research that forces me to formulate questions that motivate me to find answers through my personal ambitions. The process of research integrates everything that I learned in a classroom. Therefore, as a researcher, I am doing my own learning, my own application of the skills I have developed through school, sports and daily conversations. Now, how cool is that?!? Beyond cool, if you ask me.

One of the most recent and most important activities that prepared me for this internship is D6 Sports. Because of my ambition to create a free sports league for District 6 youth, and uplift youth leaders, I decided to act upon my I spontaneity (and even irrationality). And, I have to admit that starting a sports league anywhere is no cherry on top. Although there are questions on top of questions that may prevent anyone from carrying out a project, we have to remain focused. We have to remind ourselves the end goal of the project. And, how are we positively going to be impacted in the process? Yeah, there are always gonna be questions, but that is the whole point of a project! Questions show us that a project is never done because there is always room for improvement. And, if we never dared to question, then there is not enough passion, motivation and inspiration to fully carry out the project. As for D6 Sports, it was very unprofessional for me to leave such a huge task to Mark and Francelle (and to any other present and future youth leaders). But as my own leader, I have to trust the process and trust them. Leaders become leaders by doing and through opportunities. And, once anyone realizes that they do not have to hide behind anyone's shadow, but instead rise above that, then growth happens. When growth happens, their eyes are opened, and they see themselves in ways that they never did before. They see themselves as their own leaders. 

Back to the topic, pioneering D6 Sports taught me that successful projects always require inquisitiveness, dedication and perseverance. All those skills that I practice on a daily process are applied in my work in ICRISAT. 

My biggest highlight on my official first week in India is receiving updates on D6 Sporfs from Mark. If they are working hard in SF to make our visions become a reality, then I must continue to work hard here. I accepted that I am going to experience a mixture of emotions from sad to worried and to doubt. But, when I feel happiness from my daily conversations or achievements, then I know that all of the not-so-positive emotions are worth it. True success only comes from hard work.

On a less personal note, my first week here in India is EVEN more special because of this:


YA GIRL PRESH LEARNED HOW TO RIDE A BIKE! Next is swimming! Seven more weeks to go, and I thought I have learned so much already. But who knows where my Indian adventures will take me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment