Thursday, June 25, 2015

06/25

18:38 

Driven. I started this morning on a good-note, a 6 o'clock morning run while listening to the Native album! One Republic is a lyric genius. On my run, I finally realized the meaning of "Burning Bridges". I am lyrically-challenged, and when I get songs, I feel extremely accomplished. 












Speaking of accomplishments, I had a very productive check-in meeting with my Supervisor. Lisa told me that Dr. Bantilan has high expectations, so I always ensure that I am prepared prior to the meetings. I have to admit, I felt extremely nervous walking to her office because I felt like I do not know enough information to present my project. But, worrying only shows me the "amount of care" I have for this internship. 

Our meeting ran for about two hours, and I felt extremely happy when she complimented my project. She mentioned that it is very interesting to find out the process of forming SHGs because there is not a lot of research on that topic. Then, we had a conversation with Nageswara, an expert on the village of Dokur, for an hour. Throughout the entire meeting, I felt like the wheels on my mind was moving at a rate of 100 mph. I thought that I narrowed my project down, but in reality, there is so much more information! For instance, I have to analyze the environmental, cultural and socio-economic problems that hinder the formation of successful SHGs. And each of those problems have layers to them, and more layers under those layers! Aside from those three forms of problems, I have to investigate the personal motivation of the members of the SHGs which does not only involve one question. Well, personal motivation is affected by institutions and everyday actions, so I have to examine macro-level problems and narrow it down to micro-level. As I said, this project just has more questions under more questions. My project is like the layers of cake, but it is no ordinary cake. Instead, there are so many layers to the point that you can no longer count them. But, the cake is extremely delicious (or extremely rewarding in my case). 

Since I was on a role with my project, I decided to brainstorm after my nap (I accidentally fell asleep).






















I never comprehended the importance of whiteboards until I got to this research center. All of my thoughts look so creative (and messy) when I write it down (especially on a whiteboard). I am definitely buying one to hang in my dorm in Cal. Anyways, you are probably wondering what exactly this whiteboard means. Well, to make a long story short, these notes helped organize the thoughts in my very clustered brain. Here is a short explanation of my thought process:

  • I must write down the barriers of forming successful self helped groups in a diagram format
  • Oh no, my mind is suddenly thinking about how I should go about in accomplishing this project
  • I start writing my research focus
  • Wait, I am not done with the three types of problems
  • Crap, what exactly do I need to answer with this project??
  • I must have a section of BIG questions to answer in this whiteboard
  • Wait, I am not done with the three types of problems
  • What am I trying to answer with this project again? Okay, let me write it down on the bottom left corner.
  • Wow, I have so many questions
  • Hmm... all those three types of problems must originate with history, so let me writ down some historical dates (top left corner)
  • Wait, I am not done with the three types of problems
  • What major years do I need to explore using the Village Dynamics System Data? 
  • Wow, I am never going to finish
But, I actually finished my brainstorm!! Then, I spent the next 2-3 hours organizing my thought process even more. As a result, I stayed in my office for an extra two hours just to gather my thoughts. Even though my brain is so fried, I am very glad that I took the extra time to write. I am on such a role with this project that I cannot let that motivation and drive go away.

Aside from the business of my day, I did have to fun highlights.

One, after my meeting with Dr. Bantilan, I spent an hour facetiming Audrey.


























There are moments when I really miss my friends, especially since it has already been a week (wow)! While talking to her, I noticed how much I blabbered to her about my work. Honestly, I felt bad talking a great deal about me, but I also wanted to give my friends insight on global work. Anyways, she was excited to hear all about my adventures here in India, and that just reassured me that I am definitely at the right place at the right time in my life. 

Second, I had lunch with very important people in ICRISAT, and I didn't even know they had high positions! I sat with the DG of ICRISAT (I already forgot his name). Apparently, the DG is in charge of ensuring the maintenance of whole research center. Not only does he have such a wide range of accomplishments (he even worked for Bill Gates), but he is also a very down-to-earth guy. Before I left lunch, he gave me this advice: "the enemy of perfect is good. You do not need to write a perfect research paper. Sometimes, your failures teach you more than your successes."

No comments:

Post a Comment