Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Filipino Roots (07/06)

Luneta
Manila Bay
Manila Cathedral
Fort Santiago
Who doesn't love Manila?
I got the real taste of being a tourist today. Thanks to Ate Khay and Ate Rose, we were able to explore Luneta, Intramuros, and Mall of Asia. People's hospitality never ceases to amaze me. They spent their day offs, their time to relax to show us around. That's why whenever I have out of state/ out of the country friends, I make sure to take the time out of my day and show them around. It's a ripple effect.
Our whip for the day
Throughout this day I learned about Dr. Jose Rizal's life. I finally understood why he's the Philippines national hero. At a time of Spanish colonization, he fought against them through writing; the pen is indeed mightier than the sword. He started a national movement for Filipinos to own their identity, and to become their own country. The time for colonization is done.

Feelin' like Jose Rizal
Aside from his influence on Filipino independence, I was amazed to learn how passionate he was for learning. He travelled abroad to pursue higher education from Spain to Germany because he believed that there was always more. So, I started thinking, how come most people stop believing that there is more out there? Of course there is no single answer to that. It's a web of complexities that start from one's upbringing, environment, religion, culture, gender, socio-economic status, and the list goes on. All I have to say on this thought is that people need to see more in themselves and to believe that they are capable of greater measures. We are all destined for greatness.

I wonder, did Dr. Rizal understand the impact he would have on the Filipino people? Probably not. So, that got me thinking. I can live my life dedicated to addressing social issues, and my effort might not have as great of an impact while I'm alive, but like Dr. Rizal, my work will be a legacy for others. That's a bold and meaningful way of living.

We ended the night with a huge Filipino feast. We had bulalo, sisig, pansit, filipino pork chop, sweet and sour fish, fried chicken, pusit and of course, rice and lumpia. Every bite I had melted in my mouth. I don't know how I would have survived in this vacation if I did not reconvert back to eating meat. I know that I would be missing out not just on the best-tasting food ever (no bias whatsoever), but also the culture. Food is so inherent in our culture just as singing and dancing is. It's been day 2, and so far, I am extremely blessed to be here.

Yummy
Selfie game too strong

No comments:

Post a Comment